The new 22nd Street Park sits on the former Union Oil Company tank farm. The area had several very large, round storage tanks used for holding oil. Union Oil Company began in the 1920s and is one of the first and longest operating oil refiners and shippers at the Port of Los Angeles. The tank farm operated from 1958 to 1988. The site was remediated and closed in 1994. When the Port decided to create a park on this property as part of its waterfront enhancements program, numerous public workshops and meetings were held. A final project design emerged from the June 2006 Community Design Workshop. Construction of the Park began in 2008 and was completed in late 2009.
(more park info at portoflosangeles.org)